Ten Things About Carmen Deedy You Might Not Have Known
As one of our favorite tellers, Carmen Deedy is pretty well known. You’re probably familiar with the fact her family left Castro’s Cuba and were refugees when she was just a very little girl. You probably know she’s an award-winning author and successful editor. You most likely know she’s got a wit so sharp you can shave with it. Here are a few things you might not know:
1. Carmen is married to folk-singer, songwriter, storyteller John McCutcheon, another Timpanogos Storytelling favorite. They live near Atlanta, Georgia, and Carmen’s amazing parents live with them.
2. Bil Lepp performed the wedding ceremony for Carmen and John McCutcheon. He was not wearing his baseball cap at the time.
3. Carmen and John have a saltwater swimming pool and each of them have a separate studio at home for working on their individual projects.
4. Carmen knits! In fact, she’s very accomplished in many styles of needlework, including needlepoint, knitting, and smocking. She has an artist’s eye for color and design. It might be hard to imagine but she really does love to sit and knit. For a Cuban Firecracker, she’s also very homey and calm.
5. One of the most important individuals in Carmen’s life is George Bailey. He is an intimate confidant, insightful advisor, and humble companion. But John isn’t even jealous! Ask her about George. He’s really quite remarkable.
6. Carmen loves Jell-O; pudding or gelatin, especially sugar free. She also would like to know where they keep it at Harmon’s on 800 North in Orem. Bring her a box of Jell-O while she’s here—she’ll love it!
7. Carmen is an anglophile and bibliophile. If you don’t know what those are, look ‘em up.
8. Carmen will slay you in Scrabble or Words With Friends. Unless you are fellow author Rick Walton.
9. If you really want to see Carmen light up like a fiesta, ask her about Ruby. Carmen’s big brown eyes will sparkle like the gem itself, and she is likely to whip out her phone and show you pictures. (Hint: Ruby is her granddaughter!)
10. Carmen will wear herself out quickly for others, and when she is here, it is a full-time job to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn’t do too much and exhaust herself. You see, there is only one of her, which will never be enough for all of us who love her!